ACS Author Lab
Master the preparation and publication of scientific manuscripts
Scientific writing skills are critical to success. Scientists at all stages of their careers rely on writing skills in order to advance their education, get published, and secure grants—but few have any formal training. Skills are often developed on the fly. This is time consuming and frustrating for both the scientist and their mentors.
ACS Author Lab, developed by ACS editors and ACS Publications staff, provides relevant and specific instruction not just for writing scientific manuscripts, but also for preparing figures and the publishing process itself.
Why Choose ACS Author Lab?
- Save time by accelerating the writing process, reducing the number of edits, and selecting an appropriate journal the first time
- Build skills that apply to all scientific communications, even beyond chemistry
- Real-world examples help authors avoid common pitfalls
- Make the peer-review process fast and efficient with easy-to-follow etiquette guidelines
- Help authors safeguard their reputation by avoiding ethical breaches
- Build in-depth understanding with added learning from the ACS Guide to Scholarly Communication and ACS Reviewer Lab
- Simplify the publishing experience with checklists
- Flexible learning, with all material available anytime
- Certificate are awarded to learners upon course completion
Course Modules include:
- Module 1 — Select the Right Journal: How to evaluate journal quality and goals, matching them to your manuscript’s audience so you submit to the right journal the first time.
- Module 2 — Showcase the Significance of Your Work: Tips for crafting a strong title and abstract, plus how to use active, concise language to ensure that your manuscript appeals to readers (including your first readers – the editors and reviewers).
- Module 3 — Effectively Describe Your Research: How to write a detailed outline you can turn into a strong manuscript that clearly and thoroughly conveys your key research data and important findings.
- Module 4 — Create Publication-Ready Visuals: The best visual elements for different types of data, with best practices for how to generate figures, tables, and Table of Contents graphics.
- Module 5 — Finalize Your Manuscript and Prepare for Submission: All the finishing touches that will get your manuscript ready for the journal, plus other elements such as the cover letter that you’ll need when you submit.
- Module 6 — Navigate the Revision Process: Common reasons that manuscripts are rejected and how to avoid them, with guidance on how to effectively respond to feedback from reviewers and editors.
- Module 7 — Adhere to Ethical Guidelines: Guidance for selecting the final author list, understanding licenses and permissions, and avoiding unethical behavior such as plagiarism and improper image manipulation.
ACS Author Lab is available to academic, corporate and government institutions. This course can be easily integrated into your existing learning management system (LMS). Pricing is tiered based on number of learners.
Access is available for course evaluation and review.
Click below to get started, and we’ll be glad to help setup a course demo, evaluation, quotation.